A SMART goals template is a goal setting worksheet that you can use in order to set realistic and attainable professional and personal goals. They are used in both the academic and business world.
What is a SMART Goal?
The mnemonic acronym SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. These are the criteria by which you analyze your goals. Depending on the type of goal, these criteria may sometimes change. (Example: For the letter A, a manager may use Assignable instead of Achievable, and for the the letter R, they may use Realistic, instead of Relevant.)
In business, a SMART Goals Template can be used in project management. At school, students sometimes use the template for their school projects, or to figure out their own career goals.
Free SMART Goals Template PDFs
Below you will find a free SMART Goals Template. The template has been saved in PDF format. To open the PDF in your browser, click the template image below. A SMART Goals example has also been included further down the page.
SMART Goals Example
Here is a SMART Goals Example, of a college student who wants to sell cotton candy on the weekends to pay his bills while studying.
SMART GOALS Mnemonic Acronym
- What do I want to accomplish?
- Why do I want to accomplish this?
- What are the requirements?
- What are the constraints?
- How will I measure my progress?
- How will I know when the goal is accomplished?
- How can the goal be accomplished?
- What are the logical steps I should take?
- Is this a worthwhile goal?
- Is this the right time?
- Do I have the necessary resources to accomplish this goal?
- Is this goal in line with my long term objectives?
- How long will it take to accomplish this goal?
- When is the completion of this goal due?
- When am I going to work on this goal?