Below you will find a set of printable kindergarten writing prompts for parents and teachers. Help your young student practice writing by answering these writing prompts. I have come up with 20 writing topics that are suitable for kindergartners. These questions are relatively straightforward, and ask students to describe things they spend time with during their daily lives, such as their friends, their favorite toy, and their family.
Click the PDF below to download the PDF printable, or read the writing prompts online.
Kindergarten Writing Prompts List
- What is your favorite animal? Describe what it looks like and why you like it. Would this animal make a good pet?
- What is your favorite book? Name a character from this book. What does this character do?
- What did you do yesterday?
- What do you want for your birthday?
- Describe your favorite toy.
- What do you like to do on the weekend?
- What is your favorite color? Name a few things that are this color.
- What do you do during recess?
- Describe one of your friends.
- What is your favorite subject in school. Why do you like this subject?
- What is your favorite day of the week? Why is this your favorite day?
- Imagine you are spending a day on a farm. What do you see? What do you do?
- Describe some of the animals in the ocean.
- Imagine that a parrot lands on your shoulder. What is the parrot’s name? What does the parrot say? What does the parrot look like?
- What are you going to do tomorrow?
- Describe your favorite food.
- What are some toppings you would not like to have on your pizza?
- What do you like to do after school?
- Where would you like to go on vacation?
- Imagine you can fly like a bird. What would you see as you fly through the sky?