Here you will find a free 4th grade writing prompts PDF. This convenient worksheet contains 20 writing prompts for young writers, inspiring them to think creatively. This printable worksheet may be useful for language arts teachers, homeschooling parents, and aspiring writers. Some of these writing prompts are fun and playful, while others require some serious thought.
Please click the thumbnail image below to download the PDF. You can also read these 4th grade writing prompts online by scrolling further down the page.
4th Grade Writing Prompts List
- Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Give a creative explanation for your answer.
- You are surfing across the galaxy in a space ship. As you’re flying through the Milky Way, you encounter a collection of unsavory alien gangsters who want to steal your ship…
- Who is your favorite fictional character? Why?
- If you could meet one famous person from history, who would it be?
- You have just inherited a medieval castle. The castle is rumored to contain a vast hidden treasure, along with a ghost who guards it. Describe your adventure within this mysterious location.
- Imagine you could combine two or more animals to create a new species. What animals would you merge together? What would be the name of your new species?
- Describe your life if you had been born in the same location one hundred years ago.
- Describe your life if you were born in the same location one hundred from now.
- If you were stranded on an island with one other person, who would you like to have with you?
- Describe a time in your life when you made a mistake and what you learned from it.
- You are trapped in a dark dungeon made of stone. Describe how you would escape.
- Name a famous person you admire. Why do you admire this person?
- I visited the carnival today. As I rode on the ferris wheel, I looked down and noticed something wasn’t quite right…
- You’re traveling in a submarine when suddenly the engine stops working. The submarine begins to sink. What do you do?
- Find a quote that you like and explain why you like it.
- You are the owner of a new restaurant. What is it called, what kind of food do you serve, and what makes your restaurant unique?
- What do you find very annoying? Why does this annoy you?
- Write about someone or something you care about.
- Describe your perfect day.
- What do you like about school? What do you dislike? What would you change about school to make it better?