Are you a language arts teacher, or a parent, and does your third grade enjoy creative writing? Then print a free 3rd grade writing prompts pdf worksheet for your child/student. This worksheet contains 20 writing topics. You can use them as a writing exercise or classroom warm up. Some of the writing prompts are fun and silly, others and thought-provoking and insightful.
To download the writing prompts PDF, click the worksheet thumbnail below. I’ve also posted the questions online below the PDF image link.
3rd Grade Writing Prompts List
- What will your life look like 10 years from now?
- If you could bring back an extinct species, what species would you choose, and why?
- Describe your ideal vacation.
- Imagine you are a famous inventor genius. You have been asked to create a new invention to help humanity.
- What will you invent? How will you build it?
- We drove deep into the jungle. Suddenly, the wheels of our Jeep got stuck in the mud. A moment later, we heard a loud roar in the distance…
- The lunch box jumped up and down on the table. There was no doubt about it. Something inside my lunch was alive…
- On my way to school I found an old bag on the street. Inside the bag was a million dollars…
- I turned the eerie key in the lock. The ancient door creaked. Dust swirled around me. I gave the door a push and…
- What happened inside the haunted house? If you could have an exotic pet, what sort of animal would you choose? Describe how you would take care of it.
- What is a valuable skill to have? Why is this skill valuable, and how could you learn it?
- What is your favorite song? Why do you enjoy this song?
- If you were stuck alone on an island and could only bring one item, what would you bring and why?
- Imagine you are a powerful magician. Describe one of your spells and how to use it.
- Cerberus is a giant three-headed dog in Greek mythology. Describe what would happen if you had Cerberus as a pet.
- You are on a quest to slay an evil dragon. What weapon do you take with you, what obstacles will you meet on your journal to face the dragon? Who do you meet along the way and why is the dragon evil?
- Describe a time in your life when you really tried your best.
- Describe your favorite breakfast.
- Describe the pros and cons of owning an enormous duck.
- What do pirates do on their days off?